It was so exciting to welcome our new and returning students to campus on Thursday, August 5!
Tucson Hebrew Academy also welcomed its new Head of School, Johanna Shlomovich. Since 2013, Johanna has served as the Chief Operating Officer of Ramaz School in New York City. In this role, she managed operations seamlessly, including overseeing and implementing the school’s COVID-19 response, strategically restructuring the technology department, facilitating donor relations, and fostering a culture of professional development and investment in employees.
Johanna is excited about the bright future of THA. Johanna will ensure that the school fosters a rigorous Jewish and secular education, maintains its kind, caring, and loving environment, and continues to train future leaders who will lead with inspiration, empathy, morality, and joy.
Many exciting changes are happening at THA. This summer, the teachers and staff have been hard at work getting the campus ready, as well as revamping THA’s secular and Judaic studies curricula. A few highlights are:
- Integrating a great new program for seventh and eighth grades within our history program called “Facing History and Ourselves”. This program offers a curriculum in building up each of our students through a social-emotional lens. Fostering empathy, personal reflection, ethical decision making, and inclusivity are just a few of the character-building traits that will be focused on with this program.
- Our Upper School Hebrew language curriculum will now be orchestrated through a program called “Bishvil Ha’Ivrit,” which is a more natural progression from the iTalam Hebrew language program that we are using in the Lower School.
- Our first and second graders will begin using a new siddur that will take them through Lower School and beyond!
- Our sixth, seventh, and eigth grade Upper School students will participate in an enriched T’fillah program that promotes a deeper understanding of the prayers and personal time for reflection.
- Our third, fourth, and fifth graders will also have the opportunity to learn Mishnah with Rabbi Billy.
- THA is re-launching our Upper School advisory program to enhance our student growth through a community outlook and an emphasis on character development.
As excited as we are to have our school community together and back on campus, we are taking precautions and following health and safety guidelines in order to help ensure the safety of our students, personnel, and families.
We look forward to a wonderful 2021-22 school year!
Sha’ron Wolfin Eden is the Director of Advancement at Tucson Hebrew Academy.