On Monday, May 25th at 1 p.m. EDT (10 a.m. in South, JWB Jewish Chaplains Council®, a program of the JCC Association of North America, is spearheading the first-ever National Jewish Community Observance of Memorial Day, a commemoration that will be live-streamed on the JWB Jewish Chaplains Council Facebook page. The commemoration will feature greetings to the Jewish community from senior ranking military officials, messages from bereaved families, prayers honoring the fallen heroes of all wars and conflicts involving American troops, and a performance by the United States Naval Academy Glee Club.
Since 1917, JWB Jewish Chaplains Council, a signature program of JCC Association of North America, has partnered with the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs to meet the needs of the Jewish men and women who serve our country in uniform by creating meaningful Jewish life for them. Through the recruitment and training of rabbis and lay leaders, JWB has created a global network of spiritual leaders to serve the brave men and women who in turn serve our country.
As we face continued change and uncertainty in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the JWB Jewish Chaplains Council wants to convey that Jewish commitment to our country and to the men and women who serve in our armed forces remain steadfast.
Speakers/presenters will include:
- Rabbi Irving A. Elson, Capt., USN (Ret), director, JWB Jewish Chaplains Council
- Doron Krakow, president and CEO, JCC Association of North America
- Rear Admiral Jeffrey Jablon, USN director, Military Personnel Plans and Policy
- Combined United States Naval Academy Glee Club
- Harvey Weiner, national commander, Jewish War Veterans
- Commander, US Coast Guard Cutter Nathan Bruckenthal, USCG
- Chaplain Steve Rein, USAF, Arlington National Cemetery
- Chaplain, Major David Frommer, USA
- Midshipman 3/C Olivia Shapiro, USNA
- Chaplain Karyn Berger, USA, Ft. Benning, Georgia
Gold Star Families:
- Melinda Kane, mother of LCPL Jeremy Kane, USMC
- Michelle Farkas, sister of 1Lt Daniel Farkas, USA
- Susie & Bob Schulte, parents of 1Lt Roz Schulte, USAF
- Beth Agami, mother of SPC Daniel Agami, USA
Learn more on the Facebook event page.