“This Hanukkah, let’s celebrate the power of light to overcome darkness,” says Jeff Janezcko, Ph.D., curator of the Milken Archive of Jewish Music. “Let’s celebrate the resilience of the human spirit. Let’s celebrate the power of a gift, given with intention to inspire hope.”
As he wrote, there were “fires burning in California, rockets hitting Israel, and too many tragedies around the world. Perhaps it’s a blessing that Hanukkah starts early this year — to remind us that even in times much darker than now, there is cause for hope.
“That’s why, this year, we’re sharing musical gifts that might inspire us all to envision and strive for a better tomorrow.”
Everyone who enters the “Good as Gelt” giveaway will receive digital downloads of the archives’ eight thematic gifts:
1. Peace: Shalom aleikhem (Rabbi Israel Goldfarb)
2. Love: Yo kon amor (Ofer Ben-Amots)
3. Laughter: Strange Happenings: The Holyday Calamities of Avremele Melamed (Maurice Goldman)
4. Health: Abi gezundt (Abraham Ellstein)
5. History: Hashkivenu (Traditional Sephardic)
6. Family: Tants un maysele (Yehudi Wyner)
7. Friendship: Sacred Service for the Sabbath Eve IV. “Why Do We Deal Treacherously?” (Judith Zaimont)
8. Future: L’dor vador (Meir Finkelstein)
Plus, eight randomly picked winners will receive two albums: The Milken Archive’s “A Hanukkah Celebration” plus an album of their choice from the Milken Archive collection.
Enter by Nov. 26 at www.milken
archive.org. Album winners will be selected and all free tracks made available on Nov. 27, 2018.